Show Mobile Navigation

Social Share Icons

About Author (Do Not Edit Here!)

SHOCKING! 10 Most Popular Celebrities Who Made It Without University Degrees

NCC - Monday, April 06, 2015

MORE IMAGES BELOW AFTER THE TEXT

This piece is not aimed at discrediting any of these stars, neither is it aimed at encouraging people not to acquire university education.
These stars haven't acquired university degrees or their equivalent. Some were at the university but had to drop out due to reasons best known to them.
But their inability to successfully acquire a degree in any discipline hasn't prevented them from climbing to the top of their chosen careers. 
Most of them speak fluent English, even more than some of their colleagues that are graduates, not to talk of those that are half baked graduates that can't express themselves in simple but correct English.
With the way some of these stars carry themselves and also comport themselves, you wouldn't know that they are not yet graduates without being told.

It's necessary to point out that the value of higher education cannot be over emphasised. Education is a desideratum and these stars are aware of it too.
Interestingly, even though they have made it without possessing higher degrees, they still appreciate the value of education and still have the desire to go back to school some day.
Talents may not be enough; so it's still good to pursue higher education while maximising one's talent. For the fact that it worked out for them even without acquiring university degrees or its equivalent, doesn't mean it may work out for others. So higher education is still a desideratum.
With the high rate of unemployment in the country, talent becomes a tool for self empowerment for some people after graduation.

Here are top entertainers that have been able to make it even without university degrees or its equivalent.

1 GENEVIEVE NNAJI
She is a super star, classy, hot and beautiful. No doubt, she's vividly intelligent too and has a very good command of the English language. But Ms Nnaji hasn't been able to acquire a Tertiary education, even several years after saying that she would go back to school. Although it is not late yet.
Below is an excerpt from her interview years ago where she spoke about her educational background:

Let’s have your bio-data. People don't seem to know much about you?

"I’m from Aboh-Mbaise in Imo State. I went to Kemistar Nursery and Primary School, Surulere; Methodist Girls High School, followed by one in Ikeja. I kept on moving. But ended up at Girls Secondary School, Akwakuma in Owerri, Imo State.

Why have you not furthered your education?

Life is not the same for everybody. Some people are so lucky, they come out of secondary school and they go straight to university because they have the back-up of people and it’s so easy. It looks simple…mine was different. But I’m determined. Definitely, I’m gonna go back to school. I wanted to make money, I love my money, I cherish my own money. So, I will go back when I’ve made enough. But even while I’m there, I won’t stop working.

2 MERCY JOHNSON
She's the hottest and most sought after actress at the moment in Nollywood. She is intelligent, speaks fluently and delivers her roles flawlessly. But Mercy dropped out from the university to concentrate on her chosen career. She however expressed her desire to go back to school soon.
Excerpt from her interview:

Growing Up & education tell me about your childhood. What was growing up like?

I was a tomboy. I am the fourth child from a family of seven children. The first four are girls and the last three are boys so I actually moved a lot with my brothers, climbing trees and stuff like that. We didn’t get everything we wanted but we got everything we needed. I’m from a very humble background, a Christian family. My Dad is an ex-military officer and we basically grew up in a Military environment. I attended Navy Primary and Secondary Schools until I went to the Lagos State University before I deferred.

What were you studying at the University and why did you choose to defer your studies?

I was studying English and I deferred at the time I was moving to my 200 Level. I was sort of very busy with my career, acting here and there, making money and it got into my head. But I’d love to go back to school.

To Lagos State University?

No. I’d love to take up some acting lessons or study a course in Acting since that is what I’m into.

Your profile on Wikipedia says you got into acting because you failed your University Entrance Examinations. Also, there were some reports about you leaving school because you weren’t so good with your academics. Are these reports true?

I banged my JAMB, yeah that is true. I had to write JAMB twice. But it is not true that I wasn’t good with my academics. I didn’t have issues with passing my exams at school.

3 VAN VICKER
Van is a top actor in both Nollywood and Ghollywood. He is a respected actor who speaks fluently. But Van said one of his greatest regrets was his inability to acquire a university degree.
Hear him:

So what were your ambitions while growing up?

"I always wanted to be a doctor but never had a chance to, because I never went to university after my secondary education, which is one thing I regret. Right now, I am taking some marketing courses at the university.

4 RAMSEY NUOAH
He's a super star actor with class and speaks the English language flawlessly. But Ramsey is not a university graduate and he recently confirmed that in an interview.

5 DBANJ
The Koko master is one of the leading musicians in Africa. He is on top of his career, clinching awards from left, right and centre.
D’banj stopped school at his 300 level. He was studying Mechanical Engineering at that time.

6 WIZKID
A few years ago when rave of the moment, Wizkid dropped out of Lead City University in his second year, not a few thought he made the wrong decision.
Although he chose to follow the music path,the artiste, whose real name is Ayo Balogun, does not underestimate the importance of education.

‘’I don’t regret stopping school for a bit because it did give me all the time to push and work on my music. I’m definitely going back to school. Education is very necessary and I hold it in high esteem.’’

7 TIMAYA
He is making waves in the Nigerian music industry.
He chose music over his university education.
Hear him:

"...my parents never wanted me to sing. They wanted me to goto school. My mum wanted me to be a banker. I tried but book no gree enter myhead. It wasn't my fault and no be by force, because all I wanted to do was music then. Because I love and have passion for music and being in music is no joke."

8 2BABA
He is a super star singer. He had indicated his desire to go back to the university to study law.

SUI: You once told me that you would
like to go back to school to study
law, do you still have plans to do
that?

Tuface: Yes, I want to do that. I can’t say when
exactly, maybe in the next two or three years?
But I’m definitely going to do that."

9 ODUNLADE ADEKOLA
He appears to be the hottest Yoruba actor. The Yoruba movie actor, Odunlade Adekola, who has difficulty in relating well in English language aside Yoruba is now a 100 level Part-Time undergraduate of the University of Lagos, UNILAG studying Business Administration. Odunl­ade, an Abeokuta-based actor always interpret his scripts very well,to the delight and enjoyment of movie buffs. He has proven his mettle in the industry, as a damn good actor, and this has earned him several awards and endorsement from a number of multinational companies.
He's a brand ambassador for telecommunication giant, Glo and also to Ekiti State, while his face also has graced many advert billboards in Ogun State on Taxation by the State Government. 
All things being equal, In another four years from now, Odunlade Adekola will be a University graduate.


10 DAVIDO
He is one of the wave making musicians in the country and in Africa. He said he's not a graduate yet, that he still has one more year to graduate.

Music sensation and BET awards winner, Davido (David Adedeji Adeleke), had cleared the air on the rumour that he was one of the new graduates from Babcock University, stressing that he only attended the ceremony to celebrate with a friend.The artiste was forced to make the clarification following accusation that he graduated without writing any examination in the school.
Davido took to twitter to explain his side of the story. Read his tweets below:





tagged: editorial